Indoor Flooding: How It Affects the Quality of Indoor Air

Flood Cleanup in UtahWhen faced with indoor flooding, you need to react quickly, because the longer you allow the water to stand, the greater the damage it will cause. We are talking about thousands and thousands of dollars of potential property damage here – more than enough to make you realize the importance of prompt action.

Besides extensive and expensive property damage, there is also the huge concern about the quality of air inside your flooded home. Many of your home’s construction materials and contents can quickly become breeding grounds for fungi, particularly mold and mildew, organisms known to cause health issues.

With the help of a flood clean-up company in Utah, such as fixofutah.com, you can prevent not only more extensive damages, but also the health dangers mold and mildew can bring.

Where molds and mildew love to grow

Molds and mildew can start growing on wet and damp materials and items in a surprisingly short amount of time. Some of the most common places where you will find these colonies include wallboards, wooden furniture, carpeting, upholstery, clothing, and wallpaper. In fact, because it takes so little for these organisms to survive, you can expect to see them in almost any surface exposed to flood water.

When molds and mildew become a huge health concern

Exposure to molds does not cause health problems right away, seeing as they are present almost everywhere (both indoors and outdoors). In other words, people breathe the spores of these microorganisms on a regular basis.

Exposure becomes a problem when it happens not only in a continuous manner, but when there is a large amount of mold spores present in the air. Aside from triggering allergic reactions, asthma symptoms, and other respiratory illnesses, you should know that there are some mold species that can be toxic to humans.

READ  4 Ways To Know if Your Fridge Needs Replacement

Although risks increase when moving moldy materials, the simple act of breathing in the contaminated air inside your home should already prompt you to respond to indoor flooding as quickly as possible. Clean-up is one of the first things you should do to prevent the growth of these microorganisms in the first place.