If you live in an older home, especially one that dates back to the early 20th century, it’s inevitable to find that you can’t use new appliances as certain wirings and outlets have become obsolete. While old wiring isn’t exactly dangerous, you want to make sure the electrical system in your home is up to code.
If you have outlets and wirings that need replacement, how do you know it’s time for you to call the professionals from A-Plus Plumbing, Heating & Cooling to rewire your house?
If you have outlets that are not grounded.
Some old homes still use two-pronged, non-grounded outlets. These outdated outlets not only lack the ability to accommodate most modern appliances, they are also shock hazards. They may damage your equipment and pose risks to your safety. A certified technician can safely replace old outlets with modern ones.
If you have too many extension cords.
Extension cords and power strips can be helpful in providing power where outlets are not available. However, using too many cords can be bothersome and dangerous. If this is the case, have a technician install additional wiring and outlets.
If you have overloaded circuits.
You might notice that your light bulbs flicker when you use your microwave or any other appliance. This is a sign that it’s harder for your circuit to carry the current load. You might fix this problem by unplugging an appliance from the loaded circuit. It’s also possible, however, that your circuit was engineered to handle a lower amount of electricity and that you need an electrician to add a new outlet.
It pays to enlist the help of good electricians when upgrading your electrical systems. Certified electricians will make necessary adjustments in your home to make the use of electricity convenient. They will save you from stumbling on power cords, dealing with a flickering bulb, or harming yourself from ungrounded outlets.